Entering values in Budgets

Stein Erik Berget gnucash at berget.org
Mon Oct 31 02:52:23 EDT 2011

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 05:29:40 +0100, smchadwell <smchadwell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, everybody,
>
> Please forgive me for asking a stupid question -- I've been searching
> here
> and elsewhere for a couple of days, and my inability to find anything
> suggests that I'm missing something totally obvious.
>
> *How can I enter values for expenses in a budget?*
>
> I know how to create a new budget (and how to set its date options,
> etc.),
> and I can click on a given period in a given expense line and enter an
> amount, but that amount disappears as soon as I leave the box.
>
> I'm running 2.4.7 on Ubuntu. Help?

Double click on the columns where you would like to see a number. Enter
the number you would like to see, and then hit 'enter'! Last one
important, or else your value goes out the door. Then you can hit 'tab' to
move to the cell for next month.

> For the record, I've been using GnuCash for years, now, and have loved
> it.
> I've just never tried budgeting with it until now.

The budgeting feature is nice, but it is missing some nice reports. It's
hard to see if you are on/above/below your budget. As there is no color
coding. Hm... Might be just the matter of fixing the CSS attached? And
printing the budget is also a bit tricky as I've found it gets quite big,
and there are no good options to scale it from inside GC.

Oh well, I love the software, it's fun to be an hobby accountant! :-)