Minor PostgreSQL issues

Dean Gibson gnucash at ultimeth.com
Sun Aug 26 23:50:58 EDT 2012

I initially tried using the PostgreSQL data backend for GnuCash, but
quickly switched to the XML format.  Reasons:

 1. The PostgreSQL interface uses the WHOLE database, using the "public"
    schema.  Apparently there is no way to specify a schema name.
 2. If there are any other tables in OTHER SCHEMAS, a GnuCash save
    deletes them (ugh).
 3. The name of the PostgreSQL database must be all lower case -- I
    couldn't find a way to specify/use a mixed case name.
 4. It's slower to open than the XML-format files, and I believe I
    recall that the close is equally slow.  From this I got the
    impression that GnuCash did not make incremental changes to the DB,
    but did a complete wipe/save, but I may be wrong on this.

-- Dean