Understanding the 'transfer' list of options...

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Aug 28 06:38:01 EDT 2012

On Mon 27 August 12 05:59:04 Expert_wannabe wrote:
> Firstly, I'm from the UK and using this for my fairly new small business
> (VAT registered)
>
> I'm new to GnuCash and I'm far from being an accountant....
> I've been using it for a couple of weeks now but I want to start using it
> more!
> I've set up my current account on it and it basically reflects my bank
> account at the moment.
> The issue I currently have is that I never know what to put in the
> 'transfer' column.
> I know that this will reflect reports and such like, therefore I'd like to
> get it right.
>
> Here's some examples:

Hi,

The transfer column is used to group types of expense together, eg. buying
electricity, insurance, and it might be useful to know that you spent x on
widgets and y on gizmos over the course of a business year.  within reason,
you can split this as you want.  You can also customise the accounts tree as
you need, by adding, removing or renaming accounts.

As a VAT registered business, you will understand that you have to keep
records of the VAT you spend and that which you charge your customers.  Also,
you will know that some of your transactions may be outside the scope of VAT.

> I but £10 worth of credit for my giffgaff mobile phone. /is that:
> Expenses:Utilities:Cell Phone?/

Yes, nearly. if you are VAT registered, that should be a split between
Exp:Utilities:Cell Phone and (something like) Liabilities:VATbox4 (80% and 20%
respectively)

> I buy a hard disk from Amazon, and when I ask the seller for a VAT receipt,
> they say the can't provide one, so /is that: Expenses:Depreciation?/

No.  possibly expenses:computer hardware.  although, if it is going to be
something with an expected lifetime, it might go to Assets:OfficeEquipment.
If the vendor is vat registered but can't provide a reciept, then he is in
breach of the VAT rules.  If he isn't VAT registered, then there is no VAT
paid for you to account for.

Exps:Depreciation is for spreading the (corporation) tax benefit of large
purchases that have an expected lifetime of several years in the
business(computers, machines, cars etc)  You depreciate the value of those
items at (probably) 25% each year, to reflect the notional loss in the asset's
value over time.

> I buy a domain name from an internet provider, with a VAT receipt./ is that:
> Expenses:Miscellaneous?/

If you want.  I put them in Expenses:Vatable:Utilities:Internet (with the 20%
vat split to Liab:VatBox4)

Have a look here: http://gnucash.wikia.com/wiki/GnuCash_Accounting_tips_Wiki

Have you read the concepts guide on www.gnucash.org?  Chapter 3 seems
relevant: http://gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_accts.html

> My VAT is due to be paid in a couple of days

If you are unsure about how to account for VAT, you might need to have a chat
with an accountant, at least to get you going. I'm more than willing to try to
answer questions (off-list if you prefer), but IANAA, just someone with about
20 years practice at filling in VAT returns!

Cheers,
Maf.