Importing transactions from other gnucash files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 28 09:59:46 EDT 2012

Hi,

Mark <msalists at gmx.net> writes:

> Hello again,
>
> I am trying to figure out a way to "merge" two files, or importing
> some accounts or transactions from one gnucash file to another.
>
> I have old transactions in one file that I downloaded through HBCI
> online banking. A lot of other accounts in that file are messed up,
> though.
> So I am thinking to start over, import the last 6 months online
> available transactions and then somehow load some of the older good
> transactions from the old file into the new one, so that I have
> everything back until the beginning of the year.
> I don't know how to load the old transactions in though... Can I
> somehow export them out of the old file and inport them into the new
> one?
>
> What's the best way to go about this?

unfortunately there's not a good way.  The best way is probably to use
an external program, Gnucash2QIF, to convert the gnucash file to a QIF
file.  But that converts the whole thing; you'll need to weed out the
bad transactions.  Then you can import that.

Beyond that, there's no good way to merge files.

Sorry.