Can't Paste Transactions that Were Copied/Cut

James Muchow jamesdmuchow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 12:25:28 EST 2012

I have been running GnuCash 2.2.9, build r17949, on Ubuntu 10.04 for a
nearly two years with pretty much no problem. I recently upgraded my
computer and decided to try a different distro, Saline OS, based on
Debian 6 (6.04). Both systems are using Xfce. I installed the exact
same version of GnuCash and copied over my accounts file. Everything
seems fine, except...

There are some things that are different but fixable, like the columns
used in the Price Editor, but there is one thing that is really and
annoyingly different. I can't Copy/Cut and then Paste a transaction.
When I do so, I get the error response popup box indicating that "This
transaction is already being edited in another register. Please finish
editing it there first."

I checked the GnuCash User mailing list archives for this error, but
the instances I found were neither relevant nor useful.

My impression is that the Copy works because the Cut does, and that
the problem exists in the Paste. Duplicate does, in fact, work as well
and can be used for some of the things for which I used Copy/Cut
followed by Paste. But not all. For example, it will not be possible
to move a transaction from one register to another; it must be
cut/deleted and then re-entered.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim Muchow