Best way to query for checks?

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 25 17:20:27 EST 2012

On 2/25/2012 2:58 PM, Liz wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 07:01:33 -0800 (PST)
> dniezby <daveniezby at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Wow, with all the features GC has, I'm shocked that searching for a
>> range of check numbers is VERY complicated.
>>
>> There has got to be a way to search for that quicker.  Anyone know
>> how to request this to the wish list or something like that?
>>
>> Seems like such a basic feature.  Search for checks X thru Y.
>>

> Disregarding the spelling differences, I'm still thinking "check??"
> In many places the cheque / check is outdated and replaced by
> electronic transfer.
> Because of this change in paying methods, I have no need to search for
> a cheque /check number.
> What appears to be 'basic' to one person's mode of financial operation
> may not be wanted by many others.
>
> Liz

Liz,

Because you are a resident of Australia, you may not realize that many
Americans still use 'checks' to pay some bills.  'Checks' are not
obsolete yet here.  Where would we be if we could not say "The check is
in the mail."

Seriously, I certainly would not want the field that is named 'Num' in
the US version of GnuCash to be changed to a number from a string.
However, I am sure that the name originated from the need to use the
'Check Number' to identify a specific payment.

We still attach a lot of importance to 'check number' when we are, for
example, tracking down payment errors.  I personally always write down
the confirmation number when paying for something electronically, and
often the 'confirmation number' contains alpha characters.

Other financial software does offer the option to search by 'check
number' and I recall using that option occasionally when I used Quicken.

It is possible to search for check numbers 2010 through 2013 by using
regex equals 201[0-3].

that took numbers as input to generate a regex filter on arbitrary
strings that finds strings within a certain numeric range?

And yes, sometimes I do put the check in the mail.

David