Best way to query for checks?

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 27 17:37:36 EST 2012

On 2/27/2012 4:11 PM, dniezby wrote:
> I occurs to me that in this entire thread, no one has considered the reason
> for me needing to search for a range of check numbers and I'm surprised that
> no one has seemed to need it more.
>
> I just wrote 10 checks to pay bills and other debts.
>
> No I need to print them.  Rather than going through 10 individual checks or
> amounts, I'd like to search for checks 2000 - 2010.  Then all one would do
> is go to PRINT CHECKS and bam...problem solved.
>
> That is NOT easy to do in this software at all and that is my point.  It
> should be something simple.
>
> Select the checks I want to print. I've never seen a financial management
> software NOT have that feature.  All of the quickens have it, all of the MS
> Money had it.  Heck, Versacheck has it...Every program I've ever seen has
> it.
>
> Even if you didn't write physical checks, you might still want to print hard
> copies for your records of all the checks you've written (physical or
> electronic) for the month.
>
> Tracking numbers and confirmations would probably be better served by going
> in the memo field anyway.
>
> How about this?  What about adding a checkbox or some type of trigger that
> allows the printing of selected checks?  That should be easy enough to add
> no?
>
> The user would select the items they wish to print (without performing a
> search) then after the print is complete the trigger switched back to 0...
>
> Just an idea.
>
> --

If you read the section of the help manual titled "Printing Checks"  the
suggested procedure is to enter the word "Print" into the Num field and
later, when you have your printer loaded with check/cheque forms, do a
search for the word "Print" to select the items you wish to print.
That, in fact is basically the same procedure that you use in all the
other programs that you name.  That way you do not assign a check number
only to discover that you loaded the check/cheque form into the wrong
printer and it was overprinted by your child's homework.

We were focused on finding items rather than printing them.