Too Many copies of the same File

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Jan 26 16:31:27 EST 2012

On Thursday 26 Jan 2012 20:05:31 Liz wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:41:44 -0500
>
> Nick Manes <njmanes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > David, thanks for the tips, I have multiple Accounts that I keep and I
> > updated them
> >
> >   sometimes 2-3 times a day , so you can see how it could get
> >
> > confusing for me. I just wish that it would not create backups l each
> > time I make a change, Just
> >
> >   update my current file, But that said I still appreciate this
> >
> > product . Thanks to all
>
> David was suggesting some changes in the way that you used Gnucash
> to make that easier for you.
> Open Gnucash straight up, rather than navigate to the directory with
> the files and opening the individual file.
> Then set the preferences to reduce the number of days of backups held.
>
> At present you may be cursing those multiple files, but they are a
> blessing if you really need them due to file loss or corruption.

Hi,

Just a thought, but I suggest that you consider keeping each set of Accounts
in thir own directory/folder - that way, you reduce the clutter that you have
to sort through to find the file you need - each folder has exactly one "main"
file and several backups according to how you set the prefs. up.  (not
withstanding the good suggestion of the "recent files" menu)

To be analagous to the Old Way Of Doing Things, I can imagine having several
paper ledger books on a  shelf  (or several different shoe boxes stuffed full
of reciepts under the bed!)

Just 0.02
Maf.