set up for dealing with employees expenses

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Jul 13 06:37:08 EDT 2012

On Fri 13 July 12 10:43:45 tereque wrote:
> thanks, several questions though
>
> On 13/07/2012 09:15, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, July 12, 2012 9:05 pm, tereque wrote:
> >> hi everybody,
> >>
> >> I am managing accounting for our small company and need to find a good
> >> ...I would prefer that in the end the (liabitlty) account of the employes
> >> cash (that has been used temporarily) is being left out
> >
> > This is exactly what the Employee Expense Vouchers are for.  Business ->
> > Employee -> New Voucher
> >
> > Just set up a single A/P account (which you can share between Employee
> > vouchers and Vendor Bills).  When you post a Voucher to A/P that will show
> > the Expenses paid to the Employee (using either Cash, which would be
> > directly reimbursable via A/P, or via a Company Card, which would go to
> > that liability instead of the A/P liability).  Then when you process
> > payment it will show the payoff of the A/P liability from your asset
> > (Bank/Cash) account.
>
> have figured out that after a little back and forth. Actually seems you
> need a 'liability account' you can connect the single transaction of
> each Voucher with first. Once 'posted' the Voucher it is shown to the
> A/P account AND the liability account.
>
> Problem not yet solved is: How do I get this payment in the normal cycle
> after reimbursement?
>
> If I 'pay' the invoice (using the A/P as a target) I even out my
> employees liability account (which is good). But I actually need these
> $100,- to show as a withdrawal from one of my assets, and going to one
> of my expenses accounts. I guess in the end it doesn't matter that this
> money was first paid by myself and then later was reimbursed in cash to
> me. I need the payment coming from an asset > going to an expenses account.
>
> Also I would need all single items of such a voucher to be routed
> individually. Possible I have one payment for Paper, one for dining and
> something else which need to be shown in the correct expenses account.
>
> It also seems not to help if you only had one items per voucher (which
> also not seem to be purpose really) because when 'paying' the invoice
> you get the name of the employee in the description and would loose the
> real description ('Paper' in this example)

Hi,

I handle this in a slightly different way, but the underlying process is
mostly the same.

I have a liability account calles EmployeeExpenses, with a child acount for
each employee (type liability).

My employees usually have several (10->30) such transactions per month, which
are submitted as a claim each month and reimbursed as a total.  I think that
when I started with GC, there was no Business section.  I have never bothered
to move to the Employee Voucher system, as the "old" way works fine for me,
and the extra reporting options aren't really relevant as aging etc haven't
really ever cropped up.

Employee submits expense reciept.  Transfer from
Liab:EmployeeExpenses:Alice to Expenses:Widgets

then at reimbusment time, Assets:Bank -> Laib:...:Alice

Hope that helps.
Maf.