problems with changing locale

knowhy knowhy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 17:05:28 EDT 2012

current locale:

[me at myhost ~]$ locale
LANG=de_DE
LC_CTYPE="de_DE"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE"
LC_TIME="de_DE"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_PAPER="de_DE"
LC_NAME="de_DE"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE"
LC_ALL=

[me at myhost ~]$ LANG=de_DE gnucash => english
[me at myhost ~]$ LC_MESSAGES=de_DE gnucash => german

running just
[me at myhost ~]$ gnucash => german

as suspected...

I don't know much about enviroment variables, but

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xbd/envvar.html

says

LANG
This variable determines the locale category for native language, local
customs and coded character set in the absence of the LC_ALL and other LC_*
(LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME)
environment variables. This can be used by applications to determine the
language to use for error messages and instructions, collating sequences,
date formats, and so forth.

LC_MESSAGES
This variable determines the locale category for processing affirmative and
negative responses and the language and cultural conventions in which
messages should be written. It also affects the behaviour of the catopen()
function in determining the message catalogue. Additional semantics of this
variable, if any, are implementation-dependent. The language and cultural
conventions of diagnostic and informative messages whose format is
unspecified by this specification set should be affected by the setting of
LC_MESSAGES.

so if I got that right the documentation is wrong.

regards,
Henrik