Accounts receivable

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Jun 1 14:08:14 EDT 2012

On Fri, June 1, 2012 1:51 pm, Dean Gibson wrote:
> On 2012-06-01 10:35, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,

>> Rule #1 of the business features: Thou shalt not use the Business
>> Accounts
>> (A/R and A/P) for manual entry.

>> -derek
>>

> Rule #2 should be:  Allow for corrections when importing a large number
> of transactions from QuickBooks (as I did). (grin)

You cannot import invoices, so that's irrelevant to this discussion.

> Rule #3 should be:  When I reconcile a credit card account and have
> GnuCash generate an A/R transaction, it should not place a "?" in the
> type field if it knows it's an invoice. (another grin)

It doesn't know that.  The only way it knows is via Process Payment (a
business feature method).  Besides, a credit card is not A/R.

> Related question:  So, using the A/R feature, when I make a payment and
> the transaction is entered via the online banking feature, how do I make
> an entry to the A/R register?  I'm just having the payment transaction
> post directly to the A/R register.

The best way right now is to Process Payment when you make the payment,
and then when you import you can mark it as a dup.  there is a patch that
will allow you to apply a transaction to a customer within the A/R
register, but I don't know if that's in 2.4 or waiting for 2.6.

Note, however, that once a payment is applied, you cannot make changes to
it; you must delete it and re-enter it, otherwise all the balancing logic
gets thrown off.

> -- Dean
>
> ps:  Thanks for the reply.  However, QuickBooks did allow for
> corrections to A/R invoices.  People always make mistakes, and locking
> the transaction for corrections seems to me to be counter-intuitive.  If
> I can't edit the A/R transaction directly, there should be SOME way to
> fix errors.

There is, depending on the error.  For invoices you can can unpost the
invoice, make changes, and then re-post it.  For payments, however, you
have to delete and re-enter it IFF the amount is wrong.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745