Accounts receivable

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Jun 1 14:23:44 EDT 2012

On 01-06-12 20:08, Derek Atkins wrote:
> On Fri, June 1, 2012 1:51 pm, Dean Gibson wrote:
>> >  -- Dean
>> >
>> >  ps:  Thanks for the reply.  However, QuickBooks did allow for
>> >  corrections to A/R invoices.  People always make mistakes, and locking
>> >  the transaction for corrections seems to me to be counter-intuitive.  If
>> >  I can't edit the A/R transaction directly, there should be SOME way to
>> >  fix errors.
> There is, depending on the error.  For invoices you can can unpost the
> invoice, make changes, and then re-post it.  For payments, however, you
> have to delete and re-enter it IFF the amount is wrong.
Just for completeness... For the advanced user, there's two exceptions
where you can alter the payment amount directly by changing the payment
transaction directly:
- You can decrease the payment amount without causing any trouble.
- And you can increase the payment amount if the invoice wasn't paid in
full yet. But you shouldn't increase the payment amount beyond the
current payment amount plus the amount of the invoice that is still unpaid.

So if you have an invoice of $100 and one payment of $50 and one of $40
for that invoice, you can safely lower either payment's amount or add
$10 to one payment directly without confusing the payment logic.

Geert