How to move from Quickbooks to Gnucash?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 5 10:47:33 EST 2012

David Gillam <dave at davegillam.org> writes:

> This sounds like a couple of RFEs for the developers... Add Quickbooks IIF import/export.

Unfortunately this is highly unlikely to happen, because IIF (and QBW)
formats are undocumented and proprietary.  Someone would have to spend
the time and effort to reverse engineer the file format.

> I have a customer who would like to try out Gnucash, but to do so,
> needs to get his Quickbooks data into it.  This way, he can do a
> direct comparison.  As a safety net, he also wants to ensure he can
> get back to Quickbooks with the new transactions, etc. made in
> Gnucash.
>
> Without easy import/export with Quickbooks, I suspect many potential
> users will not even try Gnucash.

Perhaps.  Then again there is always the cold-turkey transition.  You
use the old system until the end of one year, and start with the new
system at the start of the new year.  Perhaps for a while you enter data
in to both systems until you feel comfortable enough with the new one.
Then you give up the old and only go back for historical data.