Implementing COGS in GnuCash for a small business

Bob Brush bobbrush3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 18:15:42 EST 2012

Can you use the business features to create an invoice, and use two
income accounts to keep the hardware and software separate?  You can
also create Vendor Purchases (Bill) sidemarked for a customer and use
two different cogs accounts for software and hardware.  You can then use
the Customer Summary report to find the profit per customer, under the
options you can run the report for any combination of income and cogs
accounts to extract the kind of numbers you need.

On 03/05/2012 02:49 PM, WayneM wrote:
> Thanks for the input David.
>
> I'm going to listen for some more input. I don't think I want any Expense
> accounts decreases per se. The totals of the specific accounts should not
> decrease just as, as I see it, my COGS does not decrease when I have sold
> something whose costs are in COGS. It is just that the COGS will be a offset
> against all the income amounts from the sale.
>
> BTW, I tend to never carry any inventory. All work thus far is for very
> high-end workstations and pricing is very volatile. Once I get an order is
> when the parts buying starts.
>
> Regards,
>
> Wayne
>
> --

Robert L. Brush III
Raleigh Tile of Beckley ** West Virginia