Error parsing the file

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Mar 16 01:16:16 EDT 2012

On Mar 15, 2012, at 9:57 PM, Deane Yamane wrote:

> Here's the Console.app msgs:
> 3/15/12 11:28:49 AM	[0x0-0x1a61a6].org.gnucash.Gnucash[43366]	Application Path /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin
> 3/15/12 11:53:53 AM	[0x0-0x1a61a6].org.gnucash.Gnucash[43366]	Found Finance::Quote version 1.17
> * 2nd above is after closing GnuCash.
>
> Actual screen grab attached Could not copy&paste
> <gnubad.tiff>
>
> PS: Thanks for answering.
> -Diz
>
> On Mar 15, 2012, at 11:26 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>

>> On Mar 15, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Deane Yamane wrote:
>>
>>> How do you debug a .gnucash file when the only error  is the parsing error.
>>>
>>> Aloha, Mr. 'Dizzy' Deane Yamane
>>> Email: deane.yamane at gmail.com
>>> Email: deane at aloha.net
>>> My URL:  http://www.deaney.com/

>> It would help a lot if you'd paste the actual error message into the email.
>>
>> Since you're on a mac you should also open Applications/Utilities/Console.app and look at the console log for the time that Gnucash had the problem. There are often useful messages that get written there instead of to the trace file.

Please remember to copy the list on all replies. Use "Reply All" (the double-arrow icon),

That error occurs for two reasons: Either the file has been damaged so that it isn't valid XML anymore -- unlikely since it fails on all of the backups -- or you're trying to use an old version of Gnucash to open a file written by a newer version.

Please confirm from the "Gnucash>About" dialog box that you really are running 2.4.10.

Regards,
John Ralls