Rounding in Mortgage Assistant

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Nov 9 08:48:20 EST 2012

gnucash at skewray.com wrote:

>I just tried using the Mortgage Assistant in Gnucash 2.4.11.  The mortgage payment
>came out within one cent of what the bank thinks my mortgage payment should be.
>How do I make Gnucash Mortgage Assistant round up instead of down?  If that isn't
>possible, how to I edit the pmt(...) statement to round up?
>
>I would suggest that the mortgage assistant be a little more clear about start and
>end dates.  It isn't clear if the start date is the day the money is borrowed or
>the date of the first payment.
>
>Brian

Asking for the wrong fix. There is no way to code gnucash so that it
will always agree with the amortization schedule decided on by some
bank. Coming to agreement by a cent is actually quite good. Changing
rounding might make gnucash agree with THIS bank but make it not agree
with some other bank that it now agrees with. I have written
amortization table software in my day and the real issue isn't rounding
but how payments are adjusted in terms of the "best fit" for the final
payment (what assumptions are made about the final payment).

What we should really be asking for is a "recalc amortization" where the
payment amount can be specified (to match what the bank is insisting upon).

Michael D Novack, FLMI