Multiple currencies causing account totalling problems

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Nov 19 00:03:03 EST 2012

--On November 17, 2012 12:07:09 AM -0800 GCMAB <nvgybsj8h7 at snkmail.com>
wrote:

> Does that mean all the manually entered rates can be safely deleted
> without affecting the transactions they were created for? As a
> historical record of exchange rates they are not very useful because
> of the way they are recorded as fractions which doesn't make them
> very user friendly as a reference so I certainly wouldn't lose
> anything by deleting them if they have no effect on transactions
> already entered.

The exchange rates you see in the exchange rate dialog do not have a
direct effect on any transaction.  Each transaction that affects
multiple currencies records the exchange rate used (actually it records
the amount in each currency).  The exchange rates you see in the
exchange rate dialog are not completely irrelevant, however.  They are
used when producing reports, for example.

         Mike