Retirement Accounts hierarchy: "Investments" top level account

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Oct 20 12:46:01 EDT 2012

gt500kr wrote:

>All right, it makes sense now. I didn't know account trees were actually
>user-contributed.
>
>I guess I'll follow the methodology in chapter 8.2 of the Tutorials &
>Concepts Guide. It just makes more sense to me to leave investments in
>the Assets, retirement or not.
>
>I hope this helps other future new users with the same question.

It's even "bigger" than that.

Any account trees provided as "built in" coming along with gnucash are
just shortcut examples which might help people with little or no
bookkeeping experience get started. Something concrete they might look
at. But that's all.

IN GENERAL, the first step in creating a set of books for an entity is
to create the "chart of accounts". That's the account tree specific to
the needs of THIS particular entity, needs which may well be unique
though usually the account trees of similar sorts of entities have at
least vaguely similar trees. Nor is this ever a finished task. Over time
it may become necessary to add accounts to the tree, rearrange the tree,
etc. as the needs and economic life of the entity dictate.

Michael D Novack, FLMI