Hotkeys and user interface

Algeorge agm.alistairgg at mailnull.com
Sun Sep 2 22:15:52 EDT 2012

Hi I had been using Skrooge accounting for some time after Quicken, and had
previously used GNUcash, but the data entry I found earlier using GNUcash to
be much less intuitive than either of Quicken or Skrooge.
Now GNUcash is much improved. However there are a few areas I need to be
educated in as I feel there must be ways of doing the following correctly:
1..Splits are used a lot, which means opening the split transaction. The
method of Alt-A, release Alt, P seems convoluted, and clicking the menu item
is also.
2..When using a split transaction is memorized, the percentages of each
split allocation when using Skrooge and Quicken are also memorized, so that
when the new TOTAL is entered in credit or debit, the splits are
recalculated according to previous split percentages. GNUcash uses old
values which unbalance the allocation. EG previous split may have had total
$57.50 splits $40 $17.50 new total $59.90 splits $40 $17.50 with unbalance
$2.40
3..Autofill works perfectly in Quicken and Skrooge, but there is an
unexpected behaviour in GNUcash eg when remembered payee Countdown is typed
thusly: Cou(at this point the rest of ntdown is filled in)ntdownnt   and I
have continued typing, which appends nt. Something to do with the speed of
autofill. The only method it seems, is to look at what we are typing, but
when you are fast, you dont look at an entry as its being typed.
Kind regards, Alistair