MySQL not in the dropdown for new Accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 1 13:28:46 EDT 2013

David Zelinsky <dzpost at dedekind.net> writes:

> The gnucash web site says this:
>
>   "The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.4.12
>   ... With this release series, GnuCash can use an SQL database using
>   SQLite3, MySQL or PostgreSQL. ... "
>
> If the developers do not intend to recommend an SQL database for
> ordinary users, it might be a good idea for them to say so, if not in
> the same paragraph as above, at least _somewhere_ in the documentation.
>
> I do appreciate that the developers are busy, and the issue I raise is
> likely not a high priority.  But I still think it makes sense to
> register it somewhere.

1) It's been mentioned on the lists over and over and over again for the
   past few years.  The archives are there for anyone.

2) GnuCash doesn't SAVE to any of the SQL backends by default for a
   reason.

3) It's new, and any new technology is bound to have issues.

4) You're welcome to update the wiki yourself if what's there isn't
   clear enough.