Generic Importer Hangs

Paul Conrady audio1953 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 14:14:50 EDT 2013

Brian-243 wrote
> Running GnuCash 2.4.12 svn r22850 on Windows XP SP3.
> Generic importer hangs when trying to import ofx and qfx files.
> Succesfully imported qif files twice but on different account fails.
> Ideas? Thanks.
> Brian

Hi Brian,

I am not sure what you mean by "hangs". Do you mean the "OK" button does not
work when there are no transactions displayed in the Generic Import
Transaction Matcher (GITM)?

If so, GnuCash is saying there are no new transactions to match. Simply
click the "Cancel" button. The GITM will then close.

Please note that GnuCash will remember every transaction that has been
downloaded. This process is invisible to the user. (GnuCash identifies each
transaction as being unique using the <FITID> tag, which can be seen in the
downloaded OFX file.) GnuCash does this to prevent duplicate transactions in
account registers.

The end result is that identical transactions will not show up in the GITM
multiple times. This is true when downloading transactions even though in
different formats (QFX, QIF, OFX). The GITM appears to hang because the OK
button is ineffective; it does nothing in this case. This quirk tripped me
up on a number of occasions in the beginning.

Hope this helps.

-----
Probst!
Paul