Since Last Run-Value

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 5 11:53:57 EDT 2013

Hi,

"Richard Lindgren" <richard_lindgren at comcast.net> writes:

> My apologies Derek, for misspelling your name.
> I have been using GnuCash now for three(3) months. I am neither an
> accountant nor a programmer. So if I seem to be asking some foolish
> questions, I'm sorry. I am still not understanding the "Since Last Run"
> program relative to showing a value in the Value column. I have removed ALL
> text in the template so as to eliminate any variables and still no value
> appears. I have read up on the two (2) links provided herein but I guess I
> am still "In the Dark", as I am not able to make it work. Can someone
> explain this to me in the most simplistic way so I can understand what it
> takes for values to appear and remove my mental blockage?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.

What you're missing is that the "Value" column exists for you to fill in
any variables that may be necessary.  In many cases, if you don't have
variables, then the column wont contain anything.  Contrary to what it
seems like you think, the column does NOT display the "value" of the
transaction that's being created!

A simple way to show this is to create an SX with the credit and debit
formula both saying "i" (the letter I without quotes).

Then when you run this SX it will ask you to set the value of i, which
you will fill in in the Value column.

If, however, you do not have any variables in your SX then you wont have
anything in the Value column.  This is normal and expected.

> Richard

-derek