bonds & funds total zero

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 12:06:29 EDT 2013

ISTR seeing something about this in the list before, but can't find it now.
I have set up a diversified investment portfolio in GC 2.4.11, which
includes stocks, bonds and mutual funds, as described in
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/invest-buy-stock1.html
(except that bonds have "price" in % and "shares" = nominal value/100).
Each security is a subaccount of an account in my reference currency.
The collective accounts above stocks show the sum of price x # of shares for
each security, as expected.
The collective accounts above bonds and funds show zero.
Why are my bonds and funds worth nothing in GC, even though they have prices
and numbers of shares, just like stocks?
How can I get a meaningful value in GC for my investments in bonds and
funds?