Questions About Investment Accounts

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 12:07:54 EDT 2013

You have two asset accounts: Assets:Checking and
Assets:Investments:MCapital, and one income account
Income:Investments:MCapital

When MCapital tells you she has income from her investments, you record it
in a transaction like:

2013-01-01 Investment Income
  Assets:Investments:MCapital debit $200
  Income:Investments:MCapital credit $200

When MCapital sends that money to her checking account, you record it in a
transaction like:

2013-01-15 Transfer from MCapital to Checking
  Assets:Checking debit $150
  Assets:Investments:MCaptial credit $150

The end result of these transactions is that the checking account will have
gone up by $150, the investment account will have gone up by $50, and the
income recorded will be $200.