(1) Reconciliation, (2) XP version and (3) upgrading in Lucid Lynx

denbigh1974 denbigh1974 at gmx.net
Sun Apr 7 11:35:16 EDT 2013

I am using GnuCash 2.4.2 in Ubuntu 10.04. It's excellent for my purpose of
tracking personal finances with some small business activity in addition.

I have entered some financial data for the past couple of years (all as new
transactions). They match up with the information on my bank statements.

A couple of questions:

(a) I want to "lock" the entered transactions so that I will not
accidentally amend them. I also want the facility to unlock them in case I
need to edit the information. Will reconciliation of the accounts provide
this facility?

(b) I plan to run a mirror set of my accounts on a Windows XP machine. Is
the structure of the data files the same for both Ubuntu and XP? I.e. can I
just copy the the .gnucash file into a Windows folder and open that file
from the Windows version of Gnucash?

(c) The latest version of Gnucash is not available in the Ubuntu 10.04
official repository. Is there a .deb file for the latest version of Gnucash
that I can download for Ubuntu 10.04? I am wary of building a different
version of Gnucash directly from source as I haven't the experience to do
this.

Thanks for the help.