(1) Reconciliation, (2) XP version and (3) upgrading in Lucid Lynx

Paul Conrady audio1953 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 19:34:51 EDT 2013

denbigh1974 wrote
> I am using GnuCash 2.4.2 in Ubuntu 10.04. It's excellent for my purpose of
> tracking personal finances with some small business activity in addition.
>
> I have entered some financial data for the past couple of years (all as
> new transactions). They match up with the information on my bank
> statements.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> (a) I want to "lock" the entered transactions so that I will not
> accidentally amend them. I also want the facility to unlock them in case I
> need to edit the information. Will reconciliation of the accounts provide
> this facility?
>
> (b) I plan to run a mirror set of my accounts on a Windows XP machine. Is
> the structure of the data files the same for both Ubuntu and XP? I.e. can
> I just copy the the .gnucash file into a Windows folder and open that file
> from the Windows version of Gnucash?
>
> (c) The latest version of Gnucash is not available in the Ubuntu 10.04
> official repository. Is there a .deb file for the latest version of
> Gnucash that I can download for Ubuntu 10.04? I am wary of building a
> different version of Gnucash directly from source as I haven't the
> experience to do this.
>
> Thanks for the help.

a) Correct, a reconciled transaction is uneditable. You may click the "y" in
the (R)econcile column to "unreconcile" and edit. GnuCash displays an
appropriate warning asking if you want to intentionally unreconcile. Note
that a transaction can have both reconciled and unreconciled splits. For
example, a typical transaction in my checking account register looks like
this (because I do not reconcile Expense accounts, i.e. no statement to
reconcile):

date         description                R     debit   credit
1/1/2013   Edison Electric Co
Expense:Utilities:Electric          n      100
Assets:Liquid:Checking            y                100

b) Correct, the files are identical.

c) I use GnuCash 2.4.11 on Ubuntu 10.04 and it works well. (GnuCash 2.4.12
is now available.) I downloaded the tar.bz2 file from SourceForge and built
it myself. A lot of dependences need to be downloaded before building
GnuCash. Here is the link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/?source=recommended

-----
Probst!