Currency conflicts in securities account

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 7 18:21:50 EDT 2013

I have a brokerage account which includes both securities and cash in
different currencies.  The overall reporting currency is the Swiss Franc
(CHF)
The broker provides monthly QFX files, which import OK using GC 2.4.12.
However, I am having trouble assigning the proper splits to transactions
because GC makes incorrect assumptions about the currencies involved.
I have created subaccounts in each applicable currency to handle the cash
balances and have entered securities prices for each security to fix the
currency of the securities, but still have problems with some transactions.
For example, when a dividend is paid on a U.S. stock, I have no problem
assigning the dividend to a USD income account.  However, when I try to
assign the tax withheld on the dividend to a USD expense account GC insists
that it needs to convert the amount (which is already in USD) from CHF into
USD (see screenshot).
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4661110/CurrencyConflict.png>
A similar situation crops up with interest which I pay on overdrafts in USD.
What is the best way to handle this?