Confusion over Budget Reports

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sat Apr 13 22:55:06 EDT 2013

I filled out a budget and saved it. Within my accounts, I have Auto
Expenses (sub account to Expenses) and then two sub accounts - Gas and
Repairs. In the monthly budget, I put in values for Gas and Repairs, but
left the Auto Expenses line at zeros.

Auto Expense    0.00     0.00    0.00.......
    Gas        50.00    50.00   50.00.......
    Repairs     0.00     0.00  300.00.......

When I run the Budget income statement, I see what I expect - the total of
12 months of budgeted expenses for Gas and Repairs, and the Auto Expenses
line has the total of these two amounts.

Auto Expense              1,200.00
    Gas         600.00
    Repairs     600.00

When I run the Budget Report, I see the budget, actuals, and diff for Gas
and Repairs. However, the top level account, Auto Expenses shows 0.00 for
the budgeted column, the correct actual column, and then an incorrect diff
value because gnucash did not roll up the budget values for Gas and Repairs
budgeted values.

If I enter values in the budget for Auto Expenses, then the Budget report
looks ok, but the Budget income statement is wrong.

I must be missing an important concept when it comes to budgeting.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. Is there a budget cash flow report - I want to see my mortgage
interest payment show up in my cash flows? I see Budget Flow, but that does
not look right......but then I am sure I am missing something.