mending cost of goods sold

Keith J. brae39 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 02:54:09 EDT 2013

I am using a user defined fund and trading accounts to keep track of the
inventory of an item and the cost of goods sold. I have been using the unit
average cost of the production batch for the fund's price. Let's say, the
per unit average cost is $5. That is the fund's price I have been entering
in each transaction. Recently I was advised to include the shipping cost
from the factory in the total production cost. This will bring fund price
(or the per unit cost of goods sold) from $5 to $6.50.

Is there a way to retroactively mend the transactions, short of manually
modifying each record? I suspect that the answer is probably no. For future
transactions, I can enter the new fund price, $6.50. What would be the best
way to fix the book without fixing the past entries so that the cost of
goods sold will be accurate?  Say that I sold 1000 units up to this point.
What if I enter the shortage of $1500 into the cost of goods sold account in
some kind of special entry? Not sure how to transfer that to the inventory
account though.

Thank you for your help.