Selecting which account for import bank statement

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 22 13:47:59 EDT 2013

Hi,

Andrew Wasielewski <andrew at wasielewski.co.uk> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am just starting to use GnuCash to run the accounts for the RMC
> which manages the development where we live.  I need to import bank
> statements for bank transaction reconciliation in .QBO format.  The
> first time I ran this I got prompted to select which GnuCash account
> to import into, and the import itself works fine.  However all
> subsequent times the import is to the same account without giving me
> the choice, even though I have more than one account of type "Bank".
> In production this won't matter as we only have one account, but while
> I am testing different configurations it will be very useful to be
> able to choose.
>
> I have looked through on-line documentation and all the config
> settings I can find, but don't see anything relevant.

GnuCash will automatically attach the account code in the imported file
to the account that you choose, so no, it will not ask you to bind the
import-account to the gnucash account multiple times.  The result is
that if you import a file with the same account code it will not ask
you, because according to the data source you are importing the same
account again.

There are two workaround to reset this (other that hand-editing the data
file):

1) Import a data file with a different (or bogus) account code and
   re-select the account you want to reset.

2) Create a temp account, delete the account you want to reset, move all
   the transactions to the temp account, and then rename the temp
   account to the account you just deleted.

> Any help much appreciated,
> Andrew
>
> PS: Is this list still the best way to post questions?  I can't find a
> forum anywhere.

Yes, this is it.  Forums are for Lusers.