How do I enter the existing list of stocks I own in a brokerage account. When I try, it doesn't work

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 24 10:57:52 EDT 2013

Hi,

"Tom & Louise" <t_lmoody at shaw.ca> writes:

> I guess the subject line says it all.  The old MS Money seems more
> intuitive and simpler.  I tried importing from Money and that turned
> into a bad idea.  I had to uninstall GnuCash and start on my other
> laptop.

You don't say how it failed, or what problems you have.

You can just enter in an opening balance for each stock/fund you own.
It's just a regular transaction from the asset account to your
Equity:Opening Balance account.  Make sure to enter it from the
fund/stock accounts.