How do I enter the existing list of stocks I own in a brokerage account. When I try, it doesn't work

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 25 11:06:17 EDT 2013

Hi Tom,

Please remember to CC the gnucash-user list by using your mailer's
reply-to-list or reply-all funtionality.  There are other people on the
list that can answer your questions so when you reply only to the sender
you lose the ability for other (possibly more qualified or more timely
people) answering...

"Tom & Louise" <t_lmoody at shaw.ca> writes:

> Hi Derek;
>
> I think I'm starting to understand.  Each stock is a separate account
> under/in the brokerage account.  OK,

Yes.

> How do I enter a Canadian Stock on the Toronto exchange?

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question.  You just create a stock
account and fill in the info.  You can type in anything for the "Type",
that's just for your use and can be any string you wish.  (Just make
sure not to use "template" if it shows up).

If you have stocks denoted in multiple currencies then you will need
multiple brokerage accounts; the stock's parent (brokerage) account
needs to be in the correct currency.  You'll also need separate Income
accounts for the various currencies.

> Thanks,
>
> Tom

-derek