Position of the close button in the toolbar causes me to close the current window by accident when saving

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 18:24:41 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Shamim Islam <shamim.islam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a historical reason for having the close button in the toolbar so
> close to the save button or even in the toolbar at all?
>
> Every time I go to save, half the time, I accidentally click too fast and
> close my current account.
>
> Just wondering - I have tried removing the close button in the ui
> definition file, but every time there is an update, it gets restored.
>
> That's why I am asking.

I am interpreting this as a USER question (and I'm a user, not a
developer), so I'm copying the answer to gnucash-user instead of
gnucash-devel (which is for technical discussions about internal
stuff, not "how do I use GnuCash" type questions).

You didn't say what operating system or version of GnuCash you're
using, but if my response doesn't apply for some reason, please be
sure to respond to the list listing both bits of information.

If you find yourself accidentally clicking the wrong toolbar button,
how about using the keyboard?

The keybindings may differ on different platforms, but on linux:

Control-S for Save
Control-W to Close an account or report window
Control-Q to Quit the application

You can see these and other keyboard shortcuts listed in the application menus.

Another option might be to change the display of the icons in the
toolbar. Go to Edit-->Preferences and click the Windows tab. You have
five different options for how the toolbar buttons are displayed. You
might also turn on "Show close button on notebook tabs" which will add
a little "x" to each tab.

Finally, your window manager's theme may make the edges of the toolbar
buttons more or less distinct. You might try some different themes to
see what it looks like.

Please copy any responses to gnucash-user (using reply-all). Other
folks may have more helpful suggestions or may even know the
"historical reason" you're looking for.