Cash Sale Linked to customers ?

Jonas Lippuner jonas at lippuner.ca
Fri Aug 9 12:46:41 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am keeping the books of my church and we also need to keep track of
who donates how much. I have set up all our donors as customers and
every time we get a donation I create a new invoice that records the
donation. I agree that this is quite tedious, but if you want to
associate a customer in Gnucash with a transaction (donation income),
you must create an invoice (as far as I know).

To facilitate recording donations (we get several every week), I
created a little program with a GUI that allows me to quickly enter
donations. The program then uses the Gnucash Python bindings to
automatically create an invoice for the donation and also a payment
transaction. This has been working very well for me and I would be
happy to share that program with you (but be warned that it must be
considered an experimental piece of software). It currently only works
under Linux, but this is only because I haven't taken the time yet to
make the Python bindings work under Windows. The program itself should
work under Windows without too many changes (and I am intending to
make it work for Windows at some point anyway).

If donations are associated with customers in Gnucash, it should be
fairly straight forward to create a report that will spit out gift
statements for the year. This is something I have not done yet, but
once the end of the year approaches, I will be looking into that.

Please contact me directly (i.e. not through the list), if you're
interested in trying out my program to record donations.

Best,
Jonas