Application not opening

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Aug 9 18:10:26 EDT 2013

On Aug 9, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Sarah von Blumenthal <sarah.vonblumenthal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for offering to help. I removed previous install files, including the gnu cash folder from /library and reinstalled. This time it didn't prompt me to authenticate, nor will it open. When I try to open it the icon bounces a few times and then disappears and then nothing. Is it possible there are still remaining files from a previous install that are causing issues, or is it likely to be another problem? BTW, I am a user who is 'authorized to administer this computer' so that's certainly not a problem.
>
> Really appreciate you trying to help!
>
> Sarah
>
> PS If I have used the wrong posting etiquette for this group please let me know.

Well, there are files in ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash. "~" means your home directory. If you're on Lion or later, ~/Library is normally hidden in Finder and you have to use the Go>Go to Folder menu or shift-command-G, then type in ~/Library to see it.

There are also some old-style hidden folders in your home directory, .gconf and .gconfd.

That's not likely to be the problem, though.

What version of Gnucash are you trying to use?

If you open /Applications/Utilities/Console and select "All Messages" from the list on the left (click on the show log list icon on the left end of the toolbar if there's no list), there may be some diagnostic messages. There may also be a crash report under User Diagnostic Reports; either would give some hints about the problem.

You're doing fine with list etiquette, except that some people will whine about "top posting", where you type your reply at the beginning of the quoted earlier mails instead of the end.

Regards,
John Ralls