Bad Debt

elvis elvis at dogonfire.com
Mon Aug 12 18:46:46 EDT 2013

On 13/08/13 03:22, Hilary wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I was hoping for some help.  I followed Buddha's advice to try to make
> up for the bad debt - paying to imbalance and then changing the split
> to bad debt expense account.
>
> I'm finding thought, that by moving it out of the imbalance account,
> GnuCash erases the payment to the original invoice.  So the invoice
> looks again like it's never been paid.
>
> Is there something I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Best,
> Hilary

I did something similar, but didn't use imbalance, I only use that for
things are are actually wrong, makes them easier to spot. And if you
start changing splits it makes it very hard to track anything.

I paid the invoices to a "Bad Debts Clearing Account" under liabilities.
Then transferred the total to my bad debts expense account at the end of
quarter. This way you also keep a track of who has not paid.

> On 05/30/2013 04:11 PM, Buddha Buck wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Hilary <hilary at mayfirst.org
>> <mailto:hilary at mayfirst.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Yes - basically we collect dues for services but sometimes a
>>     member will drop out or not have enough money to pay.  I don't
>>     just want to zero out the invoice - I want to be able to figure
>>     out how much we weren't able to collect.
>>
>>     I've been reading about contra receivable accounts but unsure if
>>     that works in Gnucash.  The invoice is currently a receivable.
>>     But I can't "pay" the invoice from another expense account.  So I
>>     wasn't sure if I should create a liability account and then create
>>     a transaction from the bad debt expense account to liablities or
>>     create a bad debt receivables account or just a regular income
>>     account? Sorry - accounting is not completely my forte.
>>

>> Yes, it makes sense.  Ultimately, you want the invoice to be marked
>> "paid", and the "payment" to be charged to Expenses:Bad Debts.  As
>> you notice, GnuCash doesn't allow you to do that directly.
>>
>> A similar case happens in my organization where we have the
>> opportunity to allow a member to get a "scholarship" when we
>> recognize that their non-monetary contributions are worthwhile, even
>> if their financial situation doesn't allow them to pay regular dues.
>> We too want to keep track of what we are paying in scholarships.
>>
>> What I've found I can do to accomplish this goal is, like you
>> suggested, use an intermediary account to register the payment, but
>> then go in afterwards and edit the transaction to change the account.
>>
>> Let's take a sad example:  Bob was an active member of my
>> organization, but was 2 months behind on his monthly $100 dues. Bob's
>> membership was abruptly terminated by a fatal car crash, and we don't
>> feel like going after his estate for the $200 receivable.  So we want
>> to write it off.
>>
>> So I open up Bob's Customer Report, verify that he has $200 due, then
>> go to Business->Customer->Process Payment, select Bob as the
>> customer, and put in $200 for the payment.  I choose "Imbalance-USD"
>> for the Transfer Account, and complete the payment.  In normal
>> operations there shouldn't be anything in Imbalance-USD, which is why
>> I used it -- it'll make it easy to find the transaction.  Then I open
>> the Imbalance-USD account and find the payment transaction I just
>> made.  It should be the only thing there.  I open it up as a "split",
>> and change the account on the Imbalance-USD split to Expenses:Bad
>> Debt.  When I save the transaction by hitting "Enter", it should
>> disappear from this register.
>>
>> If I got to the register for "Expenses:Bad Debt", I should see the
>> transaction.  Double-checking the Customer Report, Bob now owes
>> nothing, and the invoices are marked "Paid".
>>
>> It's a little clumsy, but it works, and you (hopefully) won't be
>> doing it often.
>>
>> In my "Scholarship" case, I use Expenses:Scholarships instead of
> [...]

Isaiah 44:6 "I am the first, the last, the only dog;"