No response from OFX server

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 13:34:57 EDT 2013

On 8/14/2013 9:35 AM, BenBaril wrote:
> Interesting followup - I was able manually format the request, and post it to
> the TD Bank ofx service, and get a valid response back. I have absolutely no
> idea why GNUCash / PocketSense is having trouble. More debugging to come...
>
> FYI: I used the following settings:
> FI-ID: 1002
> FI-Name: CommerceBank
> AppId: QWIN
> AppVer: 2100
>
> Even more interesting, is that the request I sent, is what PocketSense
> actually spat out as debug, so the request is valid, it's something in the
> connection that is not working.
>

> --

The OFX spec leaves some holes in it's definition of when it is ok use
CR-LF similar to Windows or LF only similar to the rest of the world as
the end-of-line indicator.  It may be possible that this type of issue
in a query may trigger a mal-formed query error from the server, which
eventually leads to the scenario you are experiencing.  Version 102 is a
very old version of the OFX spec, but it seems to still be the version
that many institutions are still using.  Newer OFX versions 203 and
following are supposed to work with either end-of-line indicator, but do
they?

According the website <http://www.ofxhome.com>, td bank is listed as
Commerce Bank with their headquarters in Madison Wisconsin, which seems
odd, but they have the identical web address.  That OFX server is tested
daily by them since 2009 and it has been passing nearly every day this
year.  Not so much in 2012, however.
Since Toronto Dominion is an internaional bank with local offices
everywhere, it may also matter which branch you are calling "Home" for
your account.

Maybe this only adds confusion, but end-of-line indicator issues have
sporadically popped up at other Financial Institutions.

David C