Moving or Copying Account to Laptop

RoseW wdmn at hurontel.on.ca
Wed Dec 4 12:19:36 EST 2013

On 12/04/13 9:34 AM, John Gowing wrote:
So you should be able to copy just the one file to your laptop in a
convenient location.
If you give it a suffix of gnucash it will open if you double click it.
Otherwise use File-Open and browse to the location.
GC will then create new backup & log files in that same location as you
use it.

Thank you for this outline.
I took a chance last night and copied files over to an older Win7 laptop
instead of testing on the Win 8 laptop and installed the most recent
stable gnucash edition.
The only issue was the software declared it couldn't find the path to
the files. This was solved by editing the .xml file stored in the User
Account. I just removed any reference to the original path from the
desktop computer.
This action of editing the xml file comes from awareness of html
relative or not relative paths. I had got the copied structure open by
using File Open so that path was in the xml list so I just deleted the
older paths above.

I had created an 'oops' with the original account file saving. Somehow I
had done a 'save as' and typed in a slightly different name so I had two
files but that was easy to solve for I could see the file name across
the top of the original gnucash open on the desktop. I had assigned an
adjustment to a bank reconciliation and used a wrong account so when I
repaired that I must have made a new account copy or opened a previous
backup. It looks like I opened a previous backup and then saved.
By Chance I have always left the active open accounts 'open' and somehow
managed to close the main account page after producing several annual
reports for print.  There was a horror moment of "WHERE is EVERYTHING?"
Carefully reading the Wiki manual gave the info to get that view back
using the menu.
Personally, I would configure the file locations to have the main
account in its own folder and the logs in a subfolder. At any rate, the
date and time of the file is vital if several changes had been done in a
short time frame when looking or using this folder for open or for
browsing in Windows Explorer.
Also, exporting the report file to an html format when its a final
report appears to me to be the better structure.
The other issue with file/folder structure is the main preference files
went into my user account individually and the open source photo
software GIMP does this also. Therefore Gimp and Gnucash are intermixed
in the Windows Explorer listing.
I assume if I put these USER gnucash preference files into a folder at
this time that the software wouldn't be able to find them.
Thank you again for the confirmation
Rose

--
Rose