Moving or Copying Account to Laptop

John Gowing john.gowing at jotrago.co.za
Wed Dec 4 09:34:56 EST 2013

   THE GNU Cash file is actually the single file with just the name you
   assigned and maybe a suffix like gnucash.
   THe other files with date-timestamps and .log and .gnucash suffixes are
   backup and transaction log files.
   GNUCash also doesn't really have a default location for your account
   files. it will happily work with them wherever you care to put them.
   So you should be able to copy just the one file to your laptop in a
   convenient location.
   If you give it a suffix of gnucash it will open if you double click it.
   Otherwise use File-Open and browse to the location.
   GC will then create new backup & log files in that same location as you
   use it.
   I recently discovered that GNUCash will "remember" all your open
   account and report tabs between launches (I always used to religiously
   close them all before quitting GC)
   So to prepare for your trip to the Accountant, open all the relevant
   accounts, Run your Income statement, Trial balance and other reports,
   Then simply quit GC.
   When you get to the Accountant, open GC and everything will be right
   there ready to discuss
   Good Luck