Using gnucash with multiple entities

Alan Hughston alan.hughston at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 08:16:07 EST 2013

Hello

I have been using quicken for many years and am in the process of
converting to gnucash.  I use quicken for my personal finances.  I am also
the treasurer of two clubs.  In quicken I keep three separate directories
one for each entity.

I setup three different directories for my gnucash, one for each entity.
 However there is only one set of configuration files (.gconf .gnucash) and
these are stored at the user level.

When I open custom reports, I can see reports for all entities, but if I
run say my personal report against a club file, the result is gibberish
(not surprising).

It seems one way around this is to create separate user accounts for each
entity, but my preference is to have one user account with separate
entities and preferences for each entity.
Any feedback would be greatfully appreciated

Alan Hughston

existing configuration map
user   alan
        .gconf
        .gnucash           (the configuration affects all entities)
            documents
                  myfinances
                  probus club
                  mens shed

required configuration map
user  alan
          documents
                myfinances
                    .gnucash   (configuration for personal)
                    .gconf
                               personal.gnucash data file

               probus club
                     .gnucash    (configuration for probus club)
                     .gconf
                             probus.gnucash data file
              mens shed
                      .gnucash     (configuration for mens shed)
                      .gconf
                               mens shed.gnucash

--
Alan Hughston