How to record stock that goes to zero

Scott H spdt10 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 17:59:48 EST 2013

I recently had some stock go to zero (yuck). I couldn't find anything in
the documentation about how to record this. I tried to record a "sale"
of all my shares with a share price of $0.00 USD but it won't let me do
that since GnuCash requires a non-zero share value. How should I record
this?

I'm also not sure how to record the loss itself anyway. For example, do
I create an account called "Expenses:Realized Losses" and record it
there, or do I record it as negative income in "Income:Realized Gains"?
In other words, are all capital gains and losses typically stored in one
place? The documentation didn't seem clear about this either. Thanks in
advance.