Batch/scheduled transactions

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Dec 31 12:50:50 EST 2013

Hi PK.

Ah, I see it is twice a month, not strictly bi-weekly.  So will you get paid
1st May, 15th May, 5th June, 19th June, 3rd July?  not sure if there is an
easy way to do that in GC.  I think you probably, ideally, want 2 SX, one for
first thursday and 3rd thursday.  Ntsure if you can do that, though.

maybe set the SX to semi-monthly and be resigned to adjusting the date by a
couple of days either way?

HTH,
Maf.

On Tue 31 December 13 11:41:14 PK wrote:
> That was how I started setting it up, but the problem shows up this coming
> May, when paydays fall on May 1, May 15, and May 29, then again in October
> (Oct 2, Oct 16, Oct 30). I had two different payday transactions (1st
> payday and 2nd payday) each set weekly at 4 weeks (2 weeks offset from each
> other). But when May rolls around, I want it to skip the May 29 payday in
> both schedules. So the schedule for one actually would be like: 4 weeks, 4
> weeks, 4 weeks, 4 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 weeks.
>
> Thanks,
> PK
>
> ------
> Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
>
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > on the scheduled tx editor, there is a tab "frequency" - try weekly, and
> > set
> > every *2* weeks
> >
> > that's how to do it in 2.4.x, anyway.  Haven't upgraded to 2.6 yet...
> >
> > Happy New Year,
> > Maf.
> >
> > On Tue 31 December 13 11:14:12 PK wrote:
> > > I'm new to gnucash and have 3 questions.
> > > 1) I'm trying to set up what I would call a 'manually run batch
> > > transaction.' I get paid biweekly, but most bills are monthly, so for
> > > the
> > > majority of the year the first paycheck in the month goes towards some
> > > subset of the bills and the second paycheck goes towards the other
> >
> > subset.
> >
> > > The scheduled transactions and splits seem to be close to what I want,
> >
> > but
> >
> > > I'm not sure it's the best way. If paydays were on the 1st/15th, then
> > > the
> > > scheduled transactions would be perfect, but since it's biweekly, twice
> > > year a wrench is thrown into the schedule. I'd like to have three
> > > 'scheduled' transactions or batch transactions defined (one for the
> > > first
> > > payday, one for the second payday, and one for the extra one that
> > > happens
> > > twice a year), and ideally, I'd have an option to "manually run this
> > > transaction/batch" depending on what payday it is. Right now I set the
> > > schedule frequency to be 'none' and when I want to run it I change it to
> > > frequency 'once', set the date and hit OK and it adds it. The issue I've
> > > had so far is forgetting to change it back to frequency 'none' and
> > > saving
> > > after adjusting something and it runs the whole thing again. Is there a
> > > better way to do this?

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542