what exchange rate gnucash uses for reports - it's not what I entered manually

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 11 15:00:43 EST 2013

On 2/11/2013 12:57 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> 321654 <krok.geena at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> ;;    The multicurrency support has NOT been tested and IS ALPHA.  I
>> OK, thank you. I guess no gnucash for me.
>> Can someone please put this warning to gnucash homapge: gnucash can
>> not support multicurrency accounting.
>> (or something like that)
> No, because it's not true..  GnuCash does support multi-currency
> accounting just fine (for MOST cases -- there are still some bugs in
> terms of properly handing the cap-gains/losses).  It's really just that
> some of the reports may not output multi-currency in a way that you
> want, but patches are always welcome.  This is a community effort after
> all.  Also, in your particular case you "chose poorly" in choosing a
> currency to overload for your non-standard use.  If you chose something
> like, XXX, then you would've been in a much better situation than
> chosing an old pre-Euro Euroland currency.
>
>> Now, how can one get of this list :)
> At the bottom of every message is a URL that you can use to get to the
> list administration page which lets you unsubscribe.
>
> -derek

I believe there are thousands of users that are successfully using
GnuCash with more than one currency.  As Derek points out, GnuCash is
not perfect yet. The bugs that remain might make it unsuitable for a
currency trader, but it is fine for most casual users.

If you would look for a way to use the program 'as is' instead of trying
to force it to do something it cannot do, you would probably sleep
better and consume a lot less antacids.

David C