Setting up a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

makai makai at digiplasty.com
Tue Feb 12 17:41:46 EST 2013

Hi,

Seting up an FSA in GnuCash boggles my mind.  I have these accounts created:

Asset:CurrentAccounts:Checking
Asset:CurrentAccounts:FSA
Expense:Doctor
Income:Salary
Liability:FSA

The liability can be reduced monthly via a split from my salary.  That makes
sense because I've basically loaned the money to myself and I pay back the
loan over time.

But there are two transactions which I don't understand: incurring an
expense and receiving a reimbursement from the FSA.  This thread got me
half-way there, but doesn't answer the question about how track the
reimbursement.
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2009-January/027937.html

When I incur eligible medical expenses, I would like to transfer them from
Checking to some sort of receivable account.  This will remind me I have
receipts I need to send in (in the same way as do my reimbursable work
expenses; and the similarity of this situation to reimbursable business
expenses is confusing me badly).  Then, when I get reimbursed for the
expenses the money has to end up in a medical expense account, like Doctor,
because at the end of the day, I'm paying out the money.

Loaning myself the money (funding the FSA at the start of the term)
Liability:FSA -> Asset:CurrentAccounts:FSA

Paying off the loan (monthy)
Income:Salary -> Liability:FSA

Incurring an expense
Checking ->

Receiving a reimbursement
Expense:Doctor ->

How do I set up the tree of accounts, and what would the transfers be?

-Makai

makai at digiplasty.com | skype: makai.smith | cell: +1 610 812 9463