Setting up a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Feb 12 19:11:51 EST 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-12 at 17:41 -0500, makai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Seting up an FSA in GnuCash boggles my mind.  I have these accounts created:
>
> Asset:CurrentAccounts:Checking
> Asset:CurrentAccounts:FSA
> Expense:Doctor
> Income:Salary
> Liability:FSA
>
> The liability can be reduced monthly via a split from my salary.  That makes
> sense because I've basically loaned the money to myself and I pay back the
> loan over time.
I've taken a simpler approach that does not track which expenses have
yet to be reimbursed or the maximum available annual benefit (so maybe
it's not simpler, since I'm trying to develop a system for that...).
I'm using Managing Your Money, but the same principles should apply.  I
treat the FSA account as essentially another checking account.

I don't have a Liability:FSA account.

If you get $100 in income, of which $20 goes to the FSA that is
Income:Salary 100
Asset:Checking 80
Asset:FSA      20

When you pay a doctor you incur the medical expense
Asset:Checking -50
Expense:Doctor  50

When you get reimbursed from the FSA
Asset:Checking 50
Asset:FSA     -50

If you fail to exhaust the benefit at the end of the year:
Asset:FSA 800
Expenses:Unused FSA 800

In this approach the FSA balance could go negative for awhile if you use
up more of your annual benefit than you have paid in.

Ross