Setting up a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 19:56:10 EST 2013

Ross--

It turns out to be a little more complicated than this. As the person behind the discussion that Makai referenced, I can say it's confusing. Especially since I am NOT AN ACCOUNTANT!

The way that the US has set up Medical FSAs, the individual commits to a dollar amount before the year begins--say $5000. This is a Liability to the individual, since you are committing to pay that $5000. So, at the start of the year, you transfer $5000 from Liabilities:FSA to another account. I've used an Equity account, although I imagine that's wrong. This leaves both with $5000 balances.

Each paycheck deduction goes into paying off the liability account (you're paying back the amount you said you'd use), and it should zero out at year end.

Medical expenditures go from Checking -> Expenses as you note.

I'm a little fuzzy about the reimbursement side, but when I get a reimbursement check, I transfer from the Equity account to my Checking account. This may or may not be right or right for you. It seems to mostly work for me; if I do things right, then the Equity account zeroes out at year end as well. Well, sort of, since the re-population and the final payouts tend to overlap.

There are tax reporting complications that this method doesn't seem to work well with--for example, it has never been clear to me the clean way to report the medical expenses that are deductible, that is, the expenses that weren't reimbursed from the FSA. (It doesn't help that most FSAs are run by Insurance companies who do a lot to obfuscate the origination of money they pay to you--is it an insurance payment or an FSA reimbursement). This approach gives you a total medical expense number, which I guess you have to reduce by the reimbursement amounts. I keep thinking there's a better way to handle this…

David