File Question

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 18:20:36 EST 2013

Hi Susan,

On 2013-01-02 14:53, Susan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about GnuCash.  I use the software about once a month for boyscout record keeping and have not had any problems before.  When I opened the software this week I received an error message saying the recent file GnuCash was looking for "could not be found."  When I try to open the file myself I receive an error message saying "so suitable backend was found for file."
>
> I am hoping someone can help me and my data is not lost!!

Try looking in GnuCash's recently-opened files list in the File menu.
The recently opened files should be a numbered list near the bottom of
the menu, right below `File > Properties'. Try opening the files you see
there one by one until you get the correct one. I would suggest starting
with the bottom-most file (i.e. the one with the highest number), since
you've more recently tried to open files which did not work.

If you find your data file like that, let us know if you need any help
storing it securely. I highly recommend putting it in a Documents
subdirectory called gnucash. Or if you use Dropbox/SkyDrive/Google Drive
etc. storing it in there for automatic backup.

Hope this helps,

Yawar