Replying to message threads

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 8 04:53:19 EST 2013

On 8 January 2013 08:54, David Ryder <dnryder at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Thanks - I want to reply to message 12 in the Digest Vol 118 Issue 10.
>
> I can't get a Reply To (All) ..

You did not say that you are using the digest.  You should not really
reply to messages from the digest, if you think you are likely to want
to reply then don't use the digest.  However, if you /do/ need to
reply to a message in the digest then just use Reply (assuming that
works), change the subject line to that of the message you are
replying to, delete all of the digest except the message you are
replying to, and add your reply.  This is better than nothing but will
still annoy people as the messages may not be correctly threaded.

If your mailer won't let you reply to the digest then start a new
message to the list, set the subject to the same subject as the
message you are trying to reply to and copy the original message out
of the digest into your message.

Before you do either of the above change your subscription so that you
receive messages not the digest.

Colin