gnucash environment problem

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 9 12:38:06 EST 2013

On 9 January 2013 17:02, rclar <rclar.in.dc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, but if that was the case, shouldn't I expect consistent behaviour, and
> be presented with an empty and new gnucash instance when I first start from
> the ssh session? It would seem that gnucash reads gconf just fine, but
> creates a "shadow" instance when it is writing from a ssh shell.

It is a caching issue in gconf, to demonstrate
Run gnucash in an ssh -X terminal and do Save As to a new file.
Close gnucash
In the ssh session run gconf-editor and in apps/gnucash/history will
be seen the new file.
Run gconf-editor directly on the remote machine and it will be seen
that apps/gnucash/history does not include the new file.
Open gnucash and it will not pick up the new file.
Reboot the machine (in fact logout/in will likely do, and no doubt
there is a way of restarting gconf server)
Run gconf-editor again and now the new file appears in the history,
and running gnucash will pick up the file as expected.

So the problem is, as expected, nothing to do with gnucash.  It is
that changing gconf settings remotely via X forwarding is not seen by
the gconf server running on the remote machine unitl the server is
restarted.

Colin