Splitting transactions

Graham Stoddart-Stones gstones at pacifera.com
Thu Jan 10 22:35:59 EST 2013

Niranjan:

Here is one suggestion:

1. Set up Expense:Utility:Gas
2. Set up Expense:Utility:Electric
3. Set up Liability:Accounts Payable:xxxx (name of your service provider)
4. Set up a Vendor Account for your service provider

When you receive an invoice from your service provider, enter it via Business, Vendor, New Bill, and enter the invoice as two lines - one for the Gas, and one for the Electric, applied to the relevant Expense Accounts. When you Post the Bill, allocate it to the Liability: Accounts Payable for your service provider.

You will then be able to see at any time what you have paid for Gas, what you have paid for Electricity, and what is paid/due to your service provider.

There are other ways of setting this up, please note that this is just one option. In particular, setting up your Accounts Payable is a matter of choice: the reports will only run on the top-level Accounts Payable, so if you set it up as I have suggested, that report does not run properly (e.g. you will not get an Ageing report on your Payables), but you will be able to see at a glance what your Liability is to each vendor. It is a matter of choice, which may depend upon how many accounts you are running, and how big the whole system is - ie just household, or an entire business

Hope this makes sense

Graham